Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the Sacramento Adventure Playground. We would be delighted to have you volunteer at the Playground!
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age.
- Youth volunteers ages 16 or 17 may be accepted but are mostly limited to general clean-Up must submit a volunteer application request.
- We will gladly sign off on any educational community service hours. We cannot accept any volunteers via court order service.
- We ask that all volunteers have a vehicle at the site, or transportation available 15 minutes prior to ending time. Youth groups must have the adult supervisor present until all youth are picked up.
- All volunteers need to be able to communicate and work with youth. Volunteers should never have their phones out while volunteering.
How to Apply to be a Volunteer:
- Download the Volunteer Information Packet or review below.
- Review the Volunteer Requirements and Opportunities.
- Complete the Volunteer Application
- Adult – Contact by phone or email of desire.
- Volunteer, Youth Application (pdf)
The following is a listing of individual volunteering opportunities for 2022 (more details after listings):
- Store Assistance (craft items and money payouts). Slots available anytime during public play hours (W-Th-F, 2:15-6:30 and Saturdays 11am-4pm). Available throughout the year.
- Homeschool Assistance. Sessions throughout the year. Help needed for enrichment and physical play activities. During session classes are Wed-Th-Fri., 12-2pm.
- Saturday, Jan. 15. Girl Scouts Workshop, Brownies Mechanical Engineering. Event Time 9-11am.
- Saturday, Jan. 29. Girl Scouts Workshop, Juniors Mechanical Engineering. Event Time 9-11am.
- Friday, Feb. 11. Roasted Nights (campfire event). Event time 6-8pm
- Friday, Feb. 12. Community Day (all ages). Foil themed. Event time 11am-4pm.
- Saturday, Feb. 19. Girl Scouts Workshop, Juniors Mechanical Engineering. Event Time 9-11am.
- Saturday, Mar. 12. Community Day (all ages). Gardening themed. Event time 11am-4pm.
- Friday, Mar. 25. Toddler Day. Event Time 11am-2pm.
- Saturday, Apr. 2. Girl Scouts Workshop, Daisies Mechanical Engineering. Event Time 9-11am.
- Saturday, Apr. 9. Community Day (all ages). Critter themed. Event Time 9-11am.
- M-F, Apr. 11-15 (one or all days). Spring Camp. Camp Time 11am-2pm.
- Saturday, Apr. 23. Girl Scouts Workshop, Brownies BUGS! Event Time 9-11am.
- Saturday, May 7. Whacky Kids Color Run. Event Time 11am-2pm.
- Saturday, May 14. Color-Bubble Festival. Event time TBA.
- Friday, May 20. Toddler Day. Event Time 11am-2pm.
- Saturday, May 21. Girl Scout Workshop, Juniors Robotics. Event Time 9-11am.
- Saturday, June 11. Community Day. Clay themed. Event Time 11am-4pm.
- M-F, June 20-24 (one or all days). Summer Camp (Whacky Science & Engineering). Camp time 9am-12pm.
- M-F, June 27 – July 1 (one or all days). Summer Camp (Fort Building). Camp time 9am-12pm.
- Saturday, July 2. Community Day (all ages). Ice themed. Event Time 11am-4pm.
- T-F, July 5-8 (one or all days). Summer Camp (Investigative). Camp Time 9am-12pm.
- M-F, July 18-22 (one or all days). Summer Camp (Dinomania). Camp Time 9am-12pm.
- M-F, July 25-29 (one or all days). Summer Camp (Fort Building). Camp Time 9am-12pm.
- M-F, Aug. 1-5 (one or all days). Summer Camp (Fire, Ice & Survival). Camp Time 9am-12pm.
- M-F, Aug. 8-12 (one or all days). Summer Camp (‘Bots). Camp Time 9am-12pm.
- Saturday, Aug. 13. Community Day (all ages). Slimed themed. Event Time 11am-4pm.
- Saturday, Sept. Community Day (all ages). Games themed. Event Time 11am-4pm.
- Friday, Oct. 7. Toddler Day. Event Time 11am-2pm.
- Saturday, Oct. 15. Dirty Kids Race and Festival. 9am-1pm (prep assistance needed also)
- Saturday, Oct. 29. All Hallows Fun. Event Time 5-7pm.
- Saturday, Nov. 12. Community Day (all ages). Foil/Paper Battleships themed. Event Time 11am-4pm.
- Saturday, Dec. 3. Girl Scouts Workshop, Brownies Mechanical Engineering. Event Time 9-11am.
- Saturday, Dec. 10. Girl Scouts Workshop, Juniors Mechanical Engineering. Event Time 9-11am.
Operation of the Store. Oversee temporary youth operation, disperse paints, pay rewards and generally interacting with youth. Hours available anytime Playground is open for public play.
General and Parental Assistance
If you have limited time, are unavailable on Community or Special Event Days, or are a parent that remains at the Playground while your children play, we would appreciate your help with general clean-up at the Playground. General clean-up may include returning wood, junk, and tools to their areas. These hours can be scheduled on most any days during public hours.
Group Service Organizations
We will gladly work with your organization or company on a volunteer service project. The projects can range from general clean-up or facility improvement to crafting a new playground feature or assistance at our large events.
Volunteer Organization Stations: Organizations are invited to host their own station on a Community Day and some Special Events, especially organizations that believe in “free play” and/or environmental play. It is also the best way to serve the Playground and the community. We encourage you to set up your own Activity Station that is along the lines of adventure play of special event theme. Community Days are held from 11 AM to 4 PM. Please discuss the details of your station ideas with the Play Manager.
College Student Project Based: We are able to accommodate college students looking for volunteer credits towards school, organization, or such. A wide range of opportunities can be done from working a Community Day or Special Event (above) to a defined project or activity. Tell us the time you wish to volunteer and what you are looking for and we will come up with something.
Sac State Child Development CHAD Internships: We are an approved provider for your 40-hour internship for Child Development CHAD classes at Sac State. This is a tremendous opportunity to learn about the amazing educational benefits of “free” and “risky” play. We’ll show you how to “facilitate play” rather than direct it, and how to take the adventure theme into a classroom setting. We are known as a fun project place (including our students having the best stories at the presentations). It is an experience you will not forget! For scheduling we want you working two Homeschool Enrichment classes, one to two Special Events, and the remaining hours during regular public programming. NOTE: By the program guidelines we are asked not to communicate any further specific internship information until the Friday of your first week of class.
Testimony: “The greatest success of the Musical BB-DRUM was the countless amounts of encouragement, support and guidance from the whole Sacramento Adventure Playground staff. If there was every anything needed or a brainstorm of ideas there was no hesitations whatso ever. They made me feel as though I was not just an intern but also one of them, they exceeded my expectations.” S.M, Sac State Intern, Fall 2019.
Steve Caudle, Play Manager
Sacramento Adventure Playground
3301 – 37th Ave, Sacramento, CA 95833
Phone: (916) 222-3831